Monday, January 26, 2015

Storybook Topics

Karma in Hinduism- I have always been interested in the idea of Karma. I understand the concept of Karma but I would like to learn more about the subject. Also I do not know much about how it originated so I think that it would be fun to research. I really like the concept of what goes around comes around so I am sure this could be a fun topic to try.
I did some research on Wikipedia and browsed some previous storybooks with Karma.

Animals in the Epics- I really liked the story with Jatayu while he is helping Rama.  I think it would be cool to write about the other animal companions in the stories and the role they played. The monkeys seemed very interesting as well and I do not think it would be too difficult to make an entire storybook with them.
I read the Wikipedia link for Jatayu and also the famous monkeys.

Great Battles- I like how action packed some of the stories are where Rama is fighting demons. I do not know any exact battles I would like to choose yet. I really enjoy war or fighting stories so I think I would have fun with this. My absolute favorite battle story is that of Achilles vs. Hector in both the Illiad and the movie Troy. I am anticipating that the fight with Rama and Ravana is going to be pretty intense so I am looking forward to reading that. I thought I might be able to take inspiration from the story with Achilles and Hector and implement some of that in a fight with Rama and Ravana. However I have not read what happens next so I am really just speculating at this point. I think I could also use some of the stories on Ravana's lesser demons that he sends to fight Rama. The battle with Thataka's sons was also really interesting and that might be cool to use.
I read the Wikipedia page on Ravana. I have of course already read some of the battles from our assigned reading.
File:Achilles dragging Hectors's body.jpg
Achilles dragging Hectors body

Death- I thought the death of Jatayu was sad in our reading. However I really liked how he was willing to give his life for Rama while trying to protect Sita. I hate when the good guys die in stories, but as long as they do not die in vain it comforts me. In our readings it seemed to me that Jatayu died a hero which is fitting for a majestic animal. 
I have already read the Jatayu and Ravana wiki page.


No comments:

Post a Comment