Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Storytelling for week 9: The Ultimate Marksman

Arjuna raced through the forest, dodging branches and giant plants. He held up his bow and an arrow sliced the air, hitting the middle of his target.  A log came crashing towards him and Arjuna narrowly side stepped to avoid it. He continued on his training path through difficult terrain with seemingly impossible targets for any marksman. He completed this course with ease regardless of the level of difficulty. His weapons trainer Drona watched in awe as he completed a course no other student had before. He knew his student would be great.

Drona walked over to Arjuna with a blank look on his face. “No other student has ever shown more promise.” Arjuna thanked the Guru and went on with his training late into the night.

One month later, Arjuna had just finished his training for the day. He stayed late to clean his weapons while Drona left to go bathe in the river. Arjuna walked home for the evening when he crossed a bridge over the river. Arjuna heard a loud cry for help that he could not easily recognize. With bow in hand, he bolted towards the voice he heard down the river. As he passed a bend in the river, he caught sight of a massive crocodile with his jaws around a man. It appeared as though the man was holding the beast’s jaws open just enough to keep from being torn to shreds. Arjuna was a great distance away when he heard his name. The voice sounded familiar.

“Arjuna!” the man shouted. “Do not come any closer for I fear you too will become devoured by this great monster.”

Arjuna then realized it was Drona who was trapped in the jaws of this beast. He replied, “I will not come any closer but I will slay him from here.”

While the crocodile was thrashing around, Arjuna had to be very careful not to hit Drona with his arrow by mistake. There was very little room for error. He recalled his training where he was hitting difficult targets while dodging obstacles. This could not be any different from his training. He drew his arrow and visualized his target. In between his breaths at his natural pause, he let loose his first arrow. He hit his mark and severed the crocodile’s tail completely. Drona watched it float down the river in excitement but the crocodile howled in agony. Arjuna quickly pulled four more arrows from his quiver and fired them all in unison. Each arrow struck the reptile on each of its limbs, pinning the creature to the bank of the river. However, he would not release Drona from within his jaws.

 Drona called out to Arjuna, “Finish him quickly for my strength is dwindling.” 

Arjuna fired one last arrow that pierced the neck of the once mighty crocodile. The jaws of the beast finally relaxed and Drona fell onto the sandy beach. The guru ripped the fatal arrow from the flesh of the slain creature. Drona crawled off the shore and gave Arjuna the last arrow that defeated the predator. Arjuna kept the arrow so he would never forget the day he defeated the great river beast.


File:Arjuna halebid.jpg

Author’s note-  I wanted to focus more on detail and action than dialogue. There is a lot of opportunity for detailed action in this story. I liked having the opportunity to make the story my own through detail and action. I made up the introduction to show instead of tell how great Arjuna was. I got a lot of my inspiration from the show Arrow. It is a show based on a DC comic book character the Green Arrow. The scene in the introduction is similar to a scene in the show. I also had in mind scenes from Ninja Assassin when Drona was telling Arjuna that no one has ever shown more promise. I was imagining the ninja master saying that to his pupil just like the movie.

 I chose to write about Arjuna and this story because I love stories with archery and action. It was really neat that Arjuna actually saved his master in the story. I would think it would be the other way around.I thought I could incorporate both into my story. I tried to stick to the story but it was fairly easy due to the lack of detail in the original version. This is definitely one of my favorite stories yet and I had a lot of fun writing it.

Bibliography- “Enter the Players” Narayan, R.K. (1978) the Mahabharata. 13

9 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed how much more detail you included in this story. You did a great job of capturing the incredible talent and abilities that Arjuna has in the story. I definitely think that you made the situation with the crocodile much more suspenseful! I could actually feel my heart beginning to beat faster! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scottie!
    I guess great minds think alike! I wrote about this too. However, I think yours is way better. You have a great imagination. I really enjoyed how you explained how Arjuna figured out what was going on to Drona. The dialogue you used was really fun. You use paragraph breaks well so that it is easy on the eyes to read. You did a great job. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Scott, great job with the storytelling this week! I really appreciate how much detail you put into your story. I can tell you must be quite an imaginative person. That’s awesome, because I feel like these storytelling posts are the hardest ones for me. Your introduction did show me how great Arjuna was. Nice work. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Scott, I really liked your storytelling post this week! You had a tremendous amount of detail which made the story even more entertaining to read. I could literally visualize everything happening exactly how you described it. I also liked how you started off the story displaying Arjuna’s talents. He is a very good archer that later comes into play in the Mahabharata. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Scott! I really liked your story telling post! You did a great job of adding detail to your story! I was able to picture your whole story as I was reading it! I liked your use of dialogue; it really helped to move the story along. Great job! I am looking forward to reading more of your stories soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Scott! I really enjoyed reading your story! I like how you focused more on the action rather than the dialogues because it allows the readers to imagine the action scene. Your story had a great amount of details to explain the action. Last week's reading did have a great amount of action scenes.

    Your sentence structure was great and the flow of the story was smooth too! I actually enjoyed reading your author's note because you reasoned out the details you added. I thought it was very creative of you to add details from the show arrow. I've never seen the show, but it sounds like an interesting show. Your story was very different from the traditional story. I like how you related to your interest to re-write the story. I also like the title because its just so creative!

    I want to read more of your story in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Scottie! First, I really like the details you have used on the portfolio guide. It makes it easy to tell which story I want to read about. It gives it some detail. Secondly, I love how you describe action scenes. You give a lot of descriptions of the events, and it helps me to really get into the story! I like the dialogue you created between Drona and Arjuna while the crocodile was attacking Drona. Arjuna was like please! I got you Drona, and just "slayed him from here." Your picture is very fighting and gives a good visualization for your readers. Also, the author's note is very useful. I enjoy reading what you were trying to portray with your story. It really personalizes all of these stories that everyone has all already heard several times. However, yours is very original. I found very few grammar errors. I am sure they are in your editing anyways! You did a really great job Scottie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Scott! I really enjoyed reading this story you wrote. I haven’t seen many people do this, but the fact that there was less dialogue between the characters actually made it easier to paint the scene in my head and really visualize what is going on in your story. There is a lot of detail that you put into the story which really shows all of the action going on. I especially liked the detail you wrote for when the crocodile was finally killed. The spacing of your paragraphs is nice because it helped me read the story more easily. Your spin on this story is refreshing and I can tell you put effort into writing this story. I like the image that you included of Arjuna. It makes me want to go visit temples in India to see the artwork! Great job with this story and good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello again! I really enjoyed your story, but I would have liked a little more detail in the beginning. The questions that are floating through my mind are "How long has Arjuna been Drona's student?" "Has he always been this good or did he just start shooting and instantly become that good, like a prodigy?" Overall though it was a very good story!

    ReplyDelete