Thursday, February 12, 2015

Storytelling for week 5: A warrior's death

 On their quest to find Sita and recover her from Ravana, Rama and Lakshmana came across a dying bird. His name was Jatayu, the vulture king, and he had fought Ravana in the hopes of rescuing Sita. Jatayu was badly wounded from his fight with Ravana. His wings were severed from his body and he was lying in a pool of his own blood. Rama asked the wounded animal who could have done this to him.  Jatayu told them his account of what had happened that day. Jatayu told them that he could not sit idly by while a cowardly demon tricked a man and stole his wife. He felt obligated to intervene and defend Sita. He told Rama that he was sorry he could not save Sita. Rama told the great bird that he had done more than enough and that he owed Jatayu a debt that he would pay in this life or the next. Jatayu looked at Rama and told him to end his life quickly so he would not have to die slowly. Rama nodded, then lifted his bow, aimed at Jatayu’s heart and fired one swift shot. The forest stood silent after their great protector had passed.

It was a very bleak day in the forest of Dandaka. Every animal was filled with remorse at the loss of Jatayu. Every bird in the forest was there that day to pay their respects to the great vulture king. Jatayu was greatly admired by everyone who had the opportunity to cross paths with him, both man and beast alike. Rama and his brother began to build a great pyre fit for a king so that they could burn Jatayu’s body. Lakshmana placed Jatayu’s remains on the pyre while Rama stood ready to burn his body. Rama held a torch to the great pyre and all the forest creatures gathered around to see their hero once more. The enormous fire burned as bright as the sun. Rama said a few words on Jatayu’s behalf. “You could not find a braver soul in all the forest. It takes true courage to stand up for the innocent and put your life on the line to defend them. This creature was very honorable and died a warrior’s death. History will remember his name. He will be immortal, because his name will never be forgotten. He will forever be remembered in our hearts and minds.”

Even the gods attended Jatayu’s funeral. They respected him more than any other animal that roamed the Earth. They even set aside a place for him in heaven. He would never take his place in heaven though. He loved the Earth too much to part from it. Rather than live a life of peace and luxury in heaven, he chose the pain that comes from this world in order to protect what he loves. Every time he was reborn, he would return to Earth as a bird to soar in the sky. Forever he will stand watch over his forest. To protect those that cannot defend themselves. He will always be the eyes in the sky.



File:Ravana killing Jatayu while the monkeys watch from below as Ravana then carries Sita off the Lanka..jpg

Author’s Note- I decided to tell the story of Jatayu’s funeral. He is probably my favorite character in the Ramayana. I added more detail to the funeral and what took place there. I added some dialogue from Rama to add to the story. I mostly just wanted to have Rama say a few words on Jatayu’s behalf. I hoped it would help give the story a decent funeral atmosphere for Jatayu. I mentioned the gods being in attendance as well. I wanted to mention the fact that Jatayu could go to heaven whenever he chose, but he chose not to because he was selfless. I got some inspiration from the movie Troy. I got the idea of becoming immortal by being remembered from Achilles in Troy. It is one of my favorite stories. Jatayu is such a noble animal and character in this story so I tried my best to portray him as such. I thought he should have a pyre fit for a king because he was so great. I had Rama end Jatayu’s life as a sign of mercy, in the same way you would put a dying animal out of its misery. I tried to show a sort of friendship between Rama and Jatayu. That mostly showed with Jatayu trying to save Sita from Ravana.

Bibliography-Buck, William (1976). “Hanuman!" Ramayana: King Rama's Way 173-174 182




5 comments:

  1. Scott, while I think that this was a great choice for a story, I would have liked to have more detail included such as what did Jatayu’s funeral look like. Was it colorful or dark? Was it at night or during the day? Who cried? Who was angry? How long did people mourn for? Also, I think some descriptive imagery would also help this story. I liked your story but I felt that it was bare and missing several details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy how you started the story off as a kind of preface for the funeral that is about to happen before shifting it to the actual funeral. I also really like the words you had Rama speak about Jatayu, because I am quite sure that he would really respect him for protecting his beloved as fiercely as he did. I also enjoyed the last lines and how you took from the Epic how much he loved the sky, and watching over Earth throughout all of his lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your story. You did a great job! When I was reading the book I really liked reading about Jatayu, I think he was very important in helping Rama find Sita. You did a good job showing how much he meant to Rama and everyone else. I think you gave him the perfect kind of funeral, because he was a hero. I really liked the end of your story the best, because you described how much earth meant to Jatayu and that he will forever live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jatayu too! You did a great job making him the admiral character that he is. In your author's note, you should try to give more detail about why you did certain things. Such as, why did you pick that image? Or, are you going to use this in your portfolio? If so, why? These are great questions to answer in your author's note. You should use it as an explanation for everything! I liked the image you used though! You should try to expand on the events of Jatayu's funeral. Such as, did they do any rituals. You could just make some if up to make the story more fun. I really liked how you explained how Rama and Lakshmana found him, but then it felt like you ran out of time. :) When you quote be sure to use some sort of description about who said it. I'm not sure if that matters, but it would make that part more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Scott! I like Jatayu too. I thought it was very unique of you to write about Jatayu's funeral. He was one of the important character who tried to save Sita. I think adding some dialogues will spice up the story a little bit. Also, some of the sentences were choppy, but other than that, it was a great story!

    ReplyDelete