Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary B: Drinking Conetest!

I like how detailed this book in comparison to the previous version. I am getting a better picture in my head of the story.

I loved the part with Guha in the forest where he challenges them to a drinking contest. And Guha is just hanging out in the forest smoking a cigar. He sounds like a pretty cool dude. I think it would be fun to write a story about that.

Kaikeyi tried to learn the animal language and almost killed Dasharatha in the process. I really don't like her.

I liked the story of how Dasharatha died way more in this version. The story about Dasharatha killing the boy in the forest was interesting. He mistook him for an elephant.



File:Rama taking leave of Dasharatha.jpg
Rama taking leave of Dasharatha



1 comment:

  1. Me too! I adore Buck's writing style, and this story. I am so much more into this version of the Ramayana; it plays like a movie in my mind. I find myself slowing down to read every single word and think about the scene before continuing.

    I also liked Guha and the drinking game/cigar smoking aspect. He sounds like someone I would like to know, lol. I am curious how that cigar tastes with nutmeg and sandalwood dust…and goat butter, ew. I can't stand any kind of goat dairy--it tastes like a goat smells!

    And that Kaikeyi…she is a fickle character. Seems like a petulant, selfish little girl; makes me wonder more about the story when she saved Dasaratha. What was her real motive? Probably just to be a queen. Obviously Dasaratha's life didn't mean a thing to her when she wanted to learn the language of animals nor when she exiled Rama! And I mean how are you going to love a boy his whole life like your own son and completely lose all sense and compassion when some old hunchback maid comes in and yaps in your ear? I would think that the maid wouldn't be allowed to speak to the queen like that, anyways!

    ReplyDelete